Monday, February 14, 2011

#2. No One Really Talks about "Normal Conception"

I've always known that motherhood would be an important part of my vocation.

And I've always known that, when the time came, I would have trouble getting pregnant.

Way to trust in God's will, right?

Adam and I decided to stop practicing NFP with the ( read "my") vague expectation that getting pregnant would be difficult. It seems so inconceivable that conception happens at all! Combine that with all the horror stories passed around between women about friends who can't conceive and commercials about IVF, it's no real wonder that I got the impression conception isn't something that can just happen.

When Adam and I conceived after less than a month of not trying not to conceive, I was blown away. It really radically altered the way I think about God and his plan for my life.

For the first time, I had to acknowledge that God doesn't call us to things we aren't equipped to do. Period. If God called me to be a teacher, he gave me the skills I need to teach. If He intended for me to be a wife, I'm equipped for that, too. And if God wants me to have a baby, he is going to make it possible for me to have a baby. I ought to have known that.

Conception isn't easy for everyone--and I would never downplay the real pain that couples who can't conceive experience. But conception can and does happen every day. Even though few women who didn't have any trouble conceiving talk about it, there's no reason to be surprised when biology works just the way it is designed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment