Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#3. No One Really Talks about "Normal" Pregnancy

Google lists 10,000 hits for "There is no such thing as a normal pregnancy." But a cliché, no matter how common, doesn't change the fact that some pregnancies are more normal than others.

From the very first day I found out I was pregnant, I've been sure every single possible complication would happen to me. First I was sure I had a tubal pregnancy. Then I thought I was going to miscarry imminently. I've been prepared for months for my OB to put me on bed rest, but it just hasn't happened. And it probably isn't going to.

So many women are prepared to tell you their pregnancy horror stories that you won't often hear what I've discovered to be the truth--most pregnancies are safe, routine (to everyone except the new parents), and uncomplicated.

I wish I could have been convinced how unlikely it is for a twenty-five-year-old woman in good health with no known risk factors to have a difficult pregnancy. All the unnecessary worry really put in kink in my enjoyment of my early pregnancy. Pregnancy isn't pleasant, but every unpleasant side-effect doesn't mean something in harming my baby or endangering his or her life.

I'm only halfway through my pregnancy and, for all I know, I'll develop a bizarre complication tomorrow. But, for right now, I'm beginning to believe that no news is good news and, chances are, everything will be okay.

2 comments:

  1. Worrying doesn't changes anything, but praying does! Wait until your 16 year wants the keys to the car- if you have been praying constantly, you will cope! You are in for a lifetime of amazing experiences! God's peace! SMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should just start stocking up on giant bottles of hand sanitizer for you guys right now, shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete