Monday, February 21, 2011

#6. There's Often No Need to Keep Pregnancy a Secret

I know some couples choose to keep their pregnancies a secret for professional reasons, but I think many women don't talk about pregnancy in their first trimester because of their fear they will miscarry.

I was excited enough to get pregnant that I didn't want to jinx it by expressing my excitement to anyone. Miscarriage is a scary thing. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized my fears about miscarriage were no reason to keep my pregnancy a secret. If Adam and I lost our baby, the last thing we would want to do would be to go through it alone.

Adam eventually sat me down and pointed out to me that I wasn't giving enough credit to our family and friends. He reminded me that no one would be angry at me or blame me if we lost our baby. I asked him how I would break it to seventy teenaged girls that something so sad had happened:

"Well, they'll be sad with you. You'll cry together and pray together and all come out of it closer and wiser."

He was right. I have an amazing community of family and friends who love and support me. Even if I hadn't told them about my pregnancy, there was no way I wasn't going to ask for their prayers if we lost the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment